Alexander O. Levy (1881-1947), Sunday Picnic, 1924; oil on canvas, 48 x 47 3/4 inches; Gift of the Estate of Frank Szuba, 2011. Conserved with support from John and Carol Kociela
In 1966, Charles Burchfield himself cut the ribbon to open the Burchfield Art Center, located inside Rockwell Hall at Buffalo State College. Today, the Burchfield Penney Art Center (renamed to honor donations from Charles Rand Penney) is the gateway to the campus.