The Y’s Messenger, Vol. VII, No. 2, April 1946; Ink on paper, 8 15/16 x 6 inches; Courtesy of the University Archives, State University of New York at Buffalo
In 1966, Charles Burchfield himself cut the ribbon to open the Burchfield Art Center, located inside Rockwell Hall at Buffalo State College. Today, the Burchfield Penney Art Center (renamed to honor donations from Charles Rand Penney) is the gateway to the campus.