The Burchfield Penney archives are accessible to researchers through the Edna M. Lindemann Study Center. Project requests are accepted by Archivist Heather Gring.
The Edna M. Lindemann Study Center at the Burchfield Penney is named in honor of the contributions of the museum's founding director, Dr. Edna M. Lindemann. With the support of Buffalo State and the Western New York community, Dr. Edna M. Lindemann was instrumental in creating the Charles E. Burchfield Center at Buffalo State. A personal friend of watercolor artist Charles Burchfield and his family, she served as the museum’s founding director and curator from its opening in 1966 until her retirement in 1985.
Lindemann began her career at Buffalo State as an assistant professor of art education in 1954. She became an assistant professor of design, director of cultural affairs, and assistant to the director for planning and development. During the 1960s, she helped to design interior and exterior college spaces, preserved architectural fragments and artifacts from landmark Buffalo buildings and was instrumental in developing the Maud Gordon Holmes Arboretum at Buffalo State.
Later, as assistant professor of design, she taught exhibition techniques classes. Lindemann earned a Bachelor of Science degree in art education, with distinction, from the University of Buffalo in 1936, while also receiving a diploma from the Albright Art School. She earned a Master of Arts degree in art, magna cum laude, from Northwestern University in 1939. She studied from 1940 to 1942 at Cranbrook Academy of Art, where she trained in architectural design under Eliel Saarinen and earned a doctorate in education from Columbia University’s Teachers’ College in 1956.
Upon her retirement Edna Lindemann was awarded the distinction of director emerita and remained active on the Burchfield Penney Art Center Council until her passing on September 15, 2006.
For more information on the history of the Burchfield Penney Art Center, visit The Museum History.