Class / Workshop | Plein Air Watercolor Figure Sketching at Forest Lawn Cemetery with Jennifer Koury
Saturday, September 17, 2016, 10 am–1:30 pm
Part of the International Center for Watercolor
Artist Inspiration Series
Artist/Instructor: Jennifer Koury
*Workshop location is Forest Lawn Cemetery
411 Delaware Ave, Buffalo, NY 14209
Limited to 12 participants
$42members/$52 not-yet members
Enjoy figure drawing and watercolor sketching on location at Forest Lawn Cemetery. Participants will capture the beauty of Forest Lawn statuary and its grounds using watercolor washes and line. The workshop will begin with two minute gestures and advance into watercolor sketching and painting. Artist demonstrations include figure gestural drawings and figure paintings.
Participants will meet within Forest Lawn Cemetery, next to the Chapel. From the Delavan-Main Street entrance or the Delaware-Delavan entrance follow the white lines to the Chapel. However, if there is a funeral that day, another location will be posted for participants. Please bring a bag lunch and water. Bathrooms are available.
Jennifer Koury, a watercolorist, delights in the natural world's play of light and color on forms. She derives pleasure from watercolor's whimsical properties: color bleeding, reticulation and natural paint sediments- allowing her imagination to take her where she wishes. Koury has enjoyed a rewarding career as a dedicated painter and freelance illustrator. She is published in both children's and adult based books. A previous finalist in the Chautauqua Annual Exhibition of Contemporary Art, she has exhibited her paintings both solo and in gallery exhibitions. Her work is featured at George Washington's Mount Vernon and Yuma Regional Medical Center, Arizona. After graduating from Virginia Commonwealth University in Painting and Printmaking, Koury continued her studies to graduate from Art Center College of Design, California. She resides with her family in Buffalo where she is inspired by the natural beauty of Western New York.
- Masonite Drawing Board with clips already attached, 23 x 26 inches,
OR a piece of Masonite or other firm board approximately 12 x 16 inches or slightly larger.
- Sketchbook, average book size or smaller, a pen to take notes if you wish, and several soft leaded drawing pencils-4B and 6B, and a kneaded eraser. Kochi or and Prismacolor are good kneaded eraser brands. If you don't have drawing pencils, please bring a #2 regular pencil with a workable eraser.
- One piece of Arches 140 lb, cold press watercolor paper- folded in half,
OR participants may purchase Arches watercolor paper from the instructor during class.
- Watercolors and a palette you already have,
OR a basic set that includes a palette and 10-12 paint tubes- not pans, such as Cotman or Holbein Watercolor Sets.
- # 10 and #4 round brush, Simply Simmons synthetic brand or Snap or Gold Taklon,
OR round brushes you already have that come to a point.
- 1 " flat brush, Simply Simmons brand or similar synthetic
- Optional: Larger flat brushes approximately 2" and larger for washes if you have them.
- Plastic container with a sealed lid filled with water for painting.
- Comfortable camping style chair or sling back chair, a baseball hat/hat with a large brim if possible, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Bug spray optional.
- If your chair has a side table, then you can place your palette on top of it,
OR small, foldable table/stool to place your palette and water on top of.
- Optional: Portable easel- if you prefer to work vertically.
- Bag lunch and water to drink.
- Optional: Camera.
To register contact Kathy Gaye Shiroki at 716-878-3549 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or download the registration form on the BPAC website. Families and youth 12 and older are encouraged to participate.