Hosted Event | Screening: Squeaky Wheel Presents Channels: Stories from the Niagara Frontier
This year’s videos tackle Buffalo’s water and air quality, the Peace Bridge expansion project, and community building on the East Side
Sunday, December 11, 2011, 3–5 pm
Channels: Stories from the Niagara Frontier is Squeaky's production initiative that pairs up area filmmakers with the city's activist groups and non-profit organizations to produce short documentaries about locally relevant issues. This year’s videos tackle Buffalo’s water and air quality, the Peace Bridge expansion project, and community building on the East Side. They were made by Anna Scime & Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper, John Fink & Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Resurrection, Mark Barner & Niagara Gateway Columbus Park Association, and Vince Mistretta & Clean Air Coalition.
The participating filmmakers and activists will be present at the screening for a Q&A.
- "Everybody Lives Downstream" examines the history of this city’s complicated relationship with the Buffalo River – the way we continue to alter this body of water through industrial exploitation as well as remediation and restoration efforts. [Anna Scime and Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper]
- "Living in the Shadow of the Bridge" depicts the negative impact that the uncertainty caused by the Buffalo & Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority’s constantly changing expansion plans has on the quality of life, property value, and the health of West Side residents. [Mark Barner & Niagara Gateway Columbus Park Association / Buffalo West Side Environmental Defense Fund]
- "Reclamation" focuses on an inclusive community centered around this 100-year-old congregation that has been continually adapting to challenges facing the health, safety, and economic stability of their often neglected neighborhood. [John Fink & the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Resurrection]
- "You Are Where You Live" chronicles the personal stories of the Clean Air Coalition’s fight for the people’s right to a healthy environment. [Vincenzo Mistretta & the Clean Air Coalition of Western New York]
- Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper combines firsthand knowledge of our waterways with an unwavering commitment to the rights of our communities to clean water. Their goal is for everyone to have access to fishable, swimmable and drinkable waterways throughout the Buffalo Niagara region.
- The Niagara Gateway Columbus Park Association / Buffalo West Side Environmental Defense Fund works to raise the awareness of residents, politicians and other stakeholders in understanding the major environmental damages and public health risks associated with the 2007 Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority’s proposed plans to expand their trucking and inspection operations into the residential neighborhood.
- When others are fleeing the "dangers" of the East Side, the members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Resurrection are standing their ground and saying "NO!" to the decay that has overtaken this very much overlooked area of the city by providing essential services like health care, child care, a garden, and food pantry to the community that surrounds the church.
- The Clean Air Coalition of Western New York is a grassroots environmental health and justice organization that builds power to develop strong leaders and create healthy communities.