Buffalo's Rumsey Woods
Saturday, March 8, 2014
The last few blogs have been on Rumsey Park, which is only a memory now. Most modern Buffaloians know about Rumsey Woods. It is a section of Delaware Park where the "S Curves" meet Delaware and Forest Avenues and of course, Rumsey Road. There is a large sign proclaiming the area.
Despite the same last name, the Woods was named after another branch of the family tree - the Dexter branch. In 1906 the 7 acres were given to the people of this great city by Susan Fiske Rumsey (1857-1941). She was the widow of Dexter Rumsey.
When not time traveling, working out, or hanging out at the Burchfield Penney, Mary Beth Parrinello is the religion teacher in the Montessori program at Nardin Academy in Buffalo, N.Y. She also volunteers her time at Westminster Presbytarian Church, C.G. Jung Center, and Junior League of Buffalo, which was founded by Mary Harriman Rumsey, Charles Cary Rumsey's wife!