Architect and artist George Cary was a graduate of Harvard and the Columbia School of Architecture. After a brief apprenticeship with McKim, Mead and White, he studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris (1886-1889). Cary is best known in Buffalo for the building currently housing the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society. It was originally constructed as the New York State pavilion, the only permanent building created for the Pan-American Exposition of 1901. Cary also designed the Administration Building of the Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Company (1906-1907) at 1695 Elmwood Avenue and a number of homes and industrial buildings. He designed his own home at 460 Franklin Street in the Italianate style.