Born as Harriett Candace Clark in 1852, La Porte, Indiana, Rose Clark was trained as a painter and taught painting at St. Margaret’s School in Buffalo in the late 1800s. Shortly after, one of her students, Mabel Dodge Luhan, commissioned her to restore her Villa Curonia in Florence, Italy where Clark decided to reside for several years. Many of her paintings were displayed at The Buffalo Fine Arts Academy , and she also exhibited watercolors at the Women’s Art Club in New York. She was also heavily involved in photography beginning in the late 1800s as well, specializing mainly in portraits. She began a collaboration with Elizabeth Flint Wade, and also had some correspondence with Alfred Steiglitz who counseled and encouraged her in her art. He also listed her as one of the top ten American pictorial photographers in Century Magazine (Oct. 1902). Clark and Wade exhibited and published their photographs under a joint name. Their first exhibitions include shows at the Buffalo Society of Artists and The New York Camera Club in 1899. Over the next decade their work is displayed all over, including the Art Institue of Chicago, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Photo Club de Paris, the Pan-American Exposition,Corcoran Gallery of Art, and the Albright Art Gallery (Rose Clark only). Clark moved to New York in the 1920s to advertise her portraits and paintings and returned to Buffalo in 1926. Clark died in Buffalo in 1942.